The Sex Education Collaborative (SEC) envisions and works to support a world in which all young people’s right to comprehensive, high-quality sex education is recognized and fulfilled. We know that this can only be achieved if educators are equipped with the knowledge and training needed to effectively deliver sex education. The SEC is made up of sex education experts who share the common goal to advance and scale K–12 school-based sex education programs across the United States.
Together, we created the Training Hub to bring together, in one convenient, central place, access to trusted national, regional, and state-based sex education training, technical assistance, and policy support. At www.SexEducationCollaborative.org, you can also find resources created and endorsed by the SEC and an overview of each state’s current sex education laws, policies, and guidelines.
Through the SEC, members establish the national agenda on, advocate for, and strengthen the infrastructure for educator training on comprehensive, high-quality sex education that is grounded in equity and social justice and is culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate, inclusive, medically accurate, sex positive, and trauma-informed.
The SEC is made up of 24 national, regional, and state-based organizations with extensive experience training educators to deliver school-based sex education. We have partnered to support educators and administrators to provide high-quality sex education no matter where they are, or what they need. The diverse SEC membership includes sex educators, curriculum designers, policy experts, and organizers, with experience successfully advancing sex education at local and national levels.
The 22 SEC members are:
- Advocates for Youth
- ETR Associates
- Fact Forward
- Health Connected
- Healthy Teen Network
- Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Power & Potential (GCAPP)
- Institute of Women and Ethnic Studies (IWES)
- Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health (MOASH)
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA)
- Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest, Hawai’i, Alaska, Indiana and Kentucky (PPGNHAIK)
- Planned Parenthood of Southwestern Oregon (PPSO)
- Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts (PPLM)
- Power to Decide
- The Responsible Sex Education Institute of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains (PPRM)
- RISE: Healthy for Life
- SHIFT NC
- SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change
- Teen Health MS
- Teen Pregnancy & Prevention Partnership
- UMN Healthy Youth Development - Prevention Center
- WV Free
The SEC is not currently expanding our membership base, but there will be a call for member applications later in 2021. If you would like to be notified when applications are being accepted, please complete the contact form here.