This training will walk participants through current Michigan law and policy as it relates to sex education in K-12 schools. We will review content requirements and spend time on Sex Education Advisory Boards (SEABs), the groups that set goals and objectives and review and recommend curriculum for their local school districts. We will share the most up-to-date, evidence-based information on sex education - content specifics, facilitation strategies, scope and sequence, outcome indications, and more. Finally, we will discuss best practices for SEAB establishment and functioning.
In this training, participants will:
- Review relevant and current data on sex education.
- Review state laws and requirements for sex education.
- Review state laws on Sex Education Advisory Boards (SEABs).
- Review SEAB logisitics, including meetings, membership, and curriculum review.
- Understand the scope of the SEAB's power and influence in a school district.
- Identify resources and next steps for SEABs.
- Discuss evidence-informed best practices for sex education programming.
- Review sex education resources and ways participants can get involved in improving sex education in their community.